Call for Proposals: Special Issue of Collection Management titled “We’re Moving, Please Pardon Our Dust: A New Collection Management Paradigm.”
Collection Management seeks well-researched, refereed articles on the topic of shifts in the organization and the changing role of collection management and development within libraries. The co-editors are looking for both forward-thinking discussions and practical applications of how the management and work of collection managers and collection management departments have changed.
The special issue will include 10-12 original papers and be published in v. 39, no. 2-3 (April 2014).
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
· Structural changes within collection management departments, and outcomes
· Collection development and management activities across departments
· Paradigms of cooperative collection development in consortia
· Organizational changes and coordination with digitization projects
· Strategic planning that results in organizational changes
· Patron driven acquisitions and other emerging strategic foci as well as the changing role and work of collection managers
· Preparation in terms of skills sets, experience, and education for collection managers in new paradigms
· Theoretical discussion of the current state collection development and management in libraries
· Comprehensive literature review on paradigms of collection development and management
· The changing roles of collection managers or subject specialists
Manuscripts should be (20-40) typed pages, double-spaced (including references and abstract). The references and format should follow the Chicago style (as outlined in the latest edition of The Chicago Manual of Style). The journal is published quarterly in both print and electronic formats. Additional information about submission requirements is at:
June 24, 2013: Submit an abstract (maximum of one page) with the title and your proposed article idea. Please include your name, institution, and email address.
July 19, 2013: The editors will notify authors whether their proposals have been accepted.
October 15, 2013: Submit pre-print article to Collection Management for peer-review. http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/collectionmanagement
December 1, 2013: Final versions of post-print articles are due.
Submit proposals to email@example.com, with subject line of: Collection Management Special Issue Proposal.
Special issue co-editors:
Karen S. Fischer
Collections Analysis Librarian
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City, IA 52245
(319) 335-8781 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Susanne K. Clement
Special Projects & Assessment Librarian
Interim Head of Cataloging
Utah State University
3000 Old Main Hill
Utah State University
Logan, UT 84322-3000
(435) 797-0499 | email@example.com