Saturday, September 16, 2017

Predatory Publishing

I endeavour, when advertising calls for articles etc., to not include calls where there is a processing fee.  I also try to avoid what are termed predatory publishers. If you are receiving unsolicited requests from journal editors or publishers you need to proceed carefully or ignore them. A number of authors who contributed to a Routledge edited collection I edited recently were listed to speak at a conference in China. We only became aware of this when we received e-mails asking us to register.  I've been approached by publishing companies offering to publish - sight unseen - papers from a conference - where incidentally, there were no papers planned and also to publish a book on any topic of my choosing!
This is a useful article by Stefan Eriksson and Gert Helgesson on The False Academy: predatory publishing in science and bioethics

No comments: