Saturday, February 28, 2009

elements of style

Hello Colleagues,

I enjoyed presenting the workshop on Thursday and felt very energised by the group and all the ideas. I intend to spend an hour a week between now and end of May doing a draft of a paper on developing your writing style. The target journal will be SCONUL Focus and the audience library staff. I'm interested to hear from blog contributors about what factors you think contribute to style in writing. I'm going to include advice on words, sentences, paragraphs, headings and subheadings (signposts), verbs, tenses, transitions, flow, voice,person (1st or 3rd). What else do people think should be in a paper about developing your writing stlye. It's easier to write about need for structure, query e-mails etc, but what makes a good style, what makes writing flow, these issues are a bit more vague. I'd be interested in any suggestions.

Best wishes,

Helen

No comments: